Tuesday, March 8, 2011

Playing for a T-Shirt

Pardon me if I get a little philosophical on y'all here today. But I'm here to talk about a very big part of my life. Winning commemorative championship t-shirts. I am playing in the YWCO Men's Competitive Division Indoor Soccer Final tonight, more affectionately known at YWCOMCDISF, and once again a t-shirt is on the line. Now playing for t-shirts is nothing new to the sporting landscape. Ever since participation trophies became uncool we have been receiving them for our victorious achievements. But back when I was a youngin' I didn't really care about a XXL Long Sleeve T-shirt that still doesn't fit me (Yes I have tried on the ones still hanging in my closet.) But ever since college and my involvement of intramural sports I think winning that t-shirt has had a whole new meaning in my life.

See in game of life we all play to win. We want more money, more power, more prestige. Sure at work we can "win" and get a raise or a more impressive title. In school we can get an A on a test or a report card, and sure you can brag about it, but then you just look like a self-anointed conceded weenie. I think what we all really want is for someone to tell us how awesome we are. This is why championship t-shirts are so great. After working hard all season, shrugging off the annoying freshman who don't know the rules, the meat heads who rage out the whole game and the over-the-hill washed up "wily" veterans, you get proof of your victories. You get to walk around town or campus, strutting a championship t-shirt. Because you are a champion, and you want the bag boy to know you can beat him at (insert your sport here).

I know this all sounds silly but I also bet you are sitting there agreeing with me. There are so few things in our life that we are rewarded for so bluntly as, "Here is a t-shirt for being awesome!" How great would that be in other aspects of life.

Boss: "Son, along with your raise, I want you to wear this t-shirt that tells everyone else how much more money you make than them."

Yes. Please.

Isn't this the basic satisfaction behind our effort. You know who says "why are you trying so hard, it's only for a t-shirt"? Losers. Losers who don't have a wardrobe filled with championship shirts and could flaunt there athletic dominance on all days ending in "y". Now I agree there are people who take winning to an extreme and I do not condone their actions. Heck, I have uttered the phrase it's only for a t-shirt. But this is normally in reference to someone who is already losing or falls into one of the categories I mentioned previously. We all know they aren't winning that t-shirt and we don't want to represent us winners in a negative light.

So tonight I go for another t-shirt. Each shirt gets added to the collection, but you wear each one with pride. You do not associate one shirt with the championship of another, even if they have the same design. You proudly correct people when they say "Oh, that's right you won 4v4 volleyball" by replying "Well yes I did, but this is for 6v6 volleyball." Booyah. That's right I'm awesome at volleyball no matter how many people are playing! Tonight holds special significance as it will be a new design that I have not yet captured, the one that has remained elusive in previous attempts. Tonight I make my conquest. Tonight I am a champion.

1 comment:

  1. Boss: "Son, along with your raise, I want you to wear this t-shirt that tells everyone else how much more money you make than them."

    Yes. Please.



    Hahahaha I love that

    ReplyDelete