Wednesday, December 29, 2010

2010 Year in Review "OTW Edition"

The final week of 2010 is upon us and so I believe the cliche thing to do is write a year in review post. I am calling it the "OTW Edition" for Off the Woodwork, I'm going to try and incorporate that more this upcoming year, yes, also a blog cliche. So here you have it, my version of a year in review... Enjoy!

December...
Yea, yea, yea this was 2009 but this is my blog so I can do what I want. Plus, it was a soccer game that sparked mine and Emma's relationship so this makes the list. I returned home on Christmas break and got a call to come up to the local indoor dome to sub in on my buddy Eric's team. I think I scored a goal, but more importantly Emma decided it would be a good idea to see me again and the rest is history.

I played two more games over that break in a return between the posts for the playoffs of a friends league. Naturally, we won the championship, with a shutout in the finals.

Also, the World Cup draw was made as the USA drew England, Slovenia and Algeria.

January...
Okay, so this is where the real review can start I suppose. In review this was to be the semester I spent abroad in England, a mere 30 minutes by train to Liverpool. I had been set on this for almost a full year before I balked and decided I wanted to spend my last semester of college domestically. Fortunately, my favorite team, Liverpool got the memo and decided to rattle off their worst season in nearly a decade. They were only in the middle of their downfall around this time but the writing was on the wall when their BIG signing was Maxi Rodriguez.

This month also marked the start of Intramural Indoor Soccer Season as Scrantonicity 2 looked poised for a three peat and my new Co-ed team, The Main Attraction, was an early favorite to bring home the T-shirt.

February...
Scrantonicty 2 and The Main Attraction were wrapping up their undefeated regular seasons. Liverpool kept losing. I celebrated my 22nd birthday and the Champions League Round of 16 got underway.

March...
Went on spring break to Indian Rocks Beach, Florida. Juggled the soccer ball on the beach so I think that counts for this review.

Scrantonicity 2 was upset in penalty kicks in the first round of the intramural playoffs but The Main Attraction went on to capture the title as far and away the best team in the Co-ed bracket.

April...
As was already aware, a new team would be unsettling the usual "Big Four" in the English Premier League. What few expected was that Tottenham would be that team. Chelsea and Manchester United were battling down to the wire for the title and the Champions League Final was set to be Inter Milan v. Bayern Munich.

May...
I graduated college on May 8th, outside, in the snow. Chelsea won the title on the final day of the season, Inter Milan beat Bayern Munich in the Champions League final and we were a mere one month away from the World Cup!

June...
World Cup, everyday, all the time. Wasn't the summer great? The USA, with some help from Robert Green, drew with England in the first game of Group C that set the table for an pulse racing three weeks. Remembering back to watching the Slovenia match I recall having two thoughts. The first was at half time which was a very sure "Well, there is always 2014." Boy was I wrong. After an inspired second half and an absolutely BRUTAL call by the official I was suddenly thinking "Holy crap, we are still alive!" As we all know, this set up a must win match against Algeria, which 90+ minutes into looked like a hopeless dream. Until an Algeria cross went from Howard, to Donovan, to Altidore-off the goalie-saved!-rebound-Donovan-on-the-put-back-GOOOOOAAAAALLLL!!!!!!! Absolute ecstasy across the country. I have goosebumps writing it right now. Sure we lost in the first round to Ghana, again. But I know I will remember that moment for the rest of my life.


EDIT: Emma and I also started a co-ed soccer team with friends in the area. We were cleverly named Melons & Bananas and although we both left before the end of the season, we won the championship and received coolers as a prize. Note to tournament/league officials just give cash or t-shirts as a prize, not something stupid like a rolling cooler. I also scored a "beautiful" diving/falling header in my swan song departure game that easily ranks in my top 5 as best goals scored.
July...
In the whirlwind that was the month of July I found myself watching the World Cup final by myself in the apartment in Athens. For all the criticism the game received, I thought it was entertaining and the best team won. I thought it was a great World Cup, and maybe that's because it was the first one where I saw almost every match. I thought the USA was one of the most exciting teams (at least most dramatic) in the tournament and I think the entire country was swept up in World Cup fever which was pretty cool. I will not however miss vuvuzela's.

August...
With a rekindled dedication to watching the Premier League I followed the first weekend's morning games on ESPN's gametracker at work. Blackpool proved early they would be a promoted team to be reckoned with and Chelsea took an early stranglehold on the league. Liverpool got off to a sluggish start and even found themselves in the drop zone! And Emma and I got engaged! (See why December was important!)

September...
For my devoted followers, you will already know what happened in my life. But for my first time readers, I started reffing and playing in a men's league at the YWCO. The Mean Machine Fall 2010 version was just beginning.

October...
The Colorado Rapids captured the MLS Cup in frigid Toronto in what was probably the only full MLS game I watched this past year. Tottenham worked to prove that the '09-'10 was no fluke while Gareth Bale terrorized opposing defences with his blistering pace. Chelsea came back to the pack and Mean Machine got off to an undefeated start.

November...
Mean Machine went into the playoffs as the second seed and won their first round playoff game in overtime. Liverpool looked poised to climb their way back up the table with a couple of impressive victories. The Champions League was wrapping up it's Group Stages without many meaningful matches left.

December...
If I told you to decide which location you would like to spend a summer playing soccer which would you choose? Option 1 is a developed country, mild to hot weather, freedom to drink, to choose your religion, and your sexual preference, passionate fans from almost every country in the world and you could come play right now and your stadium would be ready. Option 2 is a developed country, summer highs that reach 110 degrees, no beer, no jews, women can't show their skin and your stadium still has to be built AND it's going to be air conditioned outside, o yea and it might be in another country, in the winter. I'm sure if you think like FIFA you will choose Option 2. So yes, the 2022 World Cup will be in Qatar/Surrounding Countries that Weren't on the Ballot and barring the real life re-creation of "The Day After Tomorrow" it will be the hottest world cup to date. As a side note, Russia was awarded the 2018 World Cup.

In real news, Mean Machine lost in the finals after an undefeated season.

Recap...
From a personal standpoint, 2010 was my best year to date. I learned a lot about who I am, what I want to do and where I want to be. I returned to the soccer field with a new passion and joy for the game and can't wait to get back out there. From a global standpoint, I think soccer has never been stronger. The 2010 World Cup brought the country of South Africa under the microscope and they didn't flinch one bit as gracious and enthusiastic hosts. I think their road could be a little rough in during the post tournament hangover but I don't think their residents would regret one minute of it. An unseen passion swept across the United States as the working men and women of the country found new excuses each week to sneak off to the bar to watch our country play. 2010 has been a fantastic year all around and here is to a healthy, happy, shot stopping, play making and goal scoring 2011!

 

No comments:

Post a Comment