Monday, December 13, 2010

Back on the Pitch: Finals Reflection

Yesterday marked the final game of the Fall Men's Competitive season. It ended sadly with a 1-0 defeat in the finals. It was our first loss of the year but we can hold our heads high knowing we played well. It really was a good game and unfortunately, as the cliche goes, someone had to lose.

A funny thing happened as I was preparing for this game and that was that I realized this was probably the most significant match I had played in since I got out of high school. Now, this isn't to discredit any of my Intramural championships, but in the sense of playing true soccer, where everyone on the field cares about the stakes and will do anything to achieve those, this was certainly a long awaited welcome. With this thought in mind it has given me the opportunity to look back on the past six months in Athens (will be half a year in January) and how getting back on the pitch has been as therapeutic as anything I've done here to getting comfortable in my new environment.

I started this blog with the purpose of talking about soccer. The issues, the games, the players, but as you can tell I have slacked a bit on that aspect. The main reason my blog was created was out of sure boredom. I was alone, in a new state with a new job and not much else going on. So based on this theory it is a good thing I haven't been posting because; a.) I'm no longer alone b.) I'm growing comfortable in Georgia c.) I've settled into my job and d.) I have stuff going on. Now the most important factor in relation to why this entry is important is d. I have stuff going on thanks to my love of soccer. I found a team (which I'll come back to in a moment) and I recertified as a soccer official. The officiating was actually a lot more enjoyable this time around. I think having a few more years experience and not being a bratty teenager who didn't realize this was the easiest way to make money, played a big role in my new attitude. I ended up reffing about 20 games, and made some nice headway towards funding the big 2012 event. Back to the team. More specifically, Mean Machine. Now I can't thank Mr. Iain Halstead enough for this past fall. I sent an email out of the blue and wound up playing keeper for one of  the two undefeated teams in the league. The trust and faith (or just blind desperation) behind putting a keeper he'd never seen before between the sticks is something I'll always be grateful for.

Not only was this team successful, it had some of the best chemistry I've experienced from a team of thrown together players. About the only thing we had in common at the beginning of the season was that we all wanted to play soccer. We had our moments and our growing pains but we quickly became a formidable unit that played together and supported one anothers strengths and weaknesses. As any of you who know me, it didn't take long for me to find my voice and start barking orders but I knew my words weren't falling on deaf ears. These were players who wanted to be the best for the fifty minutes they were on the field and those are the best kind of teammates.  I'd like to say I've made some good friends, truly my first friends here in Athens. Naturally I've made the best connection with our sweeper, Brennan, a bond that usually comes from two people who have an interest in preventing goals, playing Halo and watching Dexter. (Substitute Dexter with the Office and you essentially have Eric, happy birthday btw)

These past six months have been a whirlwind, but soccer has provided a peace and calm to my life. It always has. I think I find comfort on the soccer field because it is an honest evaluator of who you are. You're actions always speak louder than your words and your true talent always shows through. You can't fake or lie your way through a game, let alone a full season. It may only be a game, but it is an expression of self, it is not defined by points or baskets. A player can be clever or skillful, brash or brave, smart or courageous and will be appreciated regardless if they contribute to the score sheet.  For the duration of the game there is only one target that every member of your team is working towards achieving. You succeed and fail together, but in the end we all go back to our lives and hope the next game gets here quickly.

2 comments:

  1. Now this is the kind of blog I like to read- something interesting, inspiring, and able to appreciate! I'm glad you had a good experience with the team and moving to Georgia. Keep up the blogging!

    ReplyDelete
  2. As a member of this team I can definitely echo your sentiments. I have been on that team a couple of season and to have a brick wall, super human keeper in goal and sweeper made of steel was truly magic and made us a difficult team to beat. I felt we should have won it all.

    It was a great season socially, I think all of us guys are non-douchebag type. Statistically speaking, 14 guys that are fiercely competitive, and really chill is about as rare as a pregnant man!

    Very inspired writing man. I'm definitely returning to comment as often as you post!

    Isaac (but I am sure the sn gives me away haha)

    ReplyDelete