Wednesday, September 22, 2010

Back On The Pitch - Game 2 and Reffing

As noted earlier, these posts are mere overviews of my personal experiences back on the playing field. If you care nothing about my stories feel free to skip this to the good stuff. (Assuming you are reading this blog because you enjoy it and not because I make you) Let's proceed shall we...

This past weekend I reffed my first two games that were not of an intramural nature since I was 16. Saturday was a U-10 YMCA game that was absolutely adorable. I really feel ashamed to even call it reffing because I arrived at the field and the two teams were warming up together. Not exactly a hostile environment. I spent most of my time running around coaching and making sure the kids didn't cry. Not bad for 24 bucks and an hours worth of babysitting.

On Sunday I was welcomed back to the harsh reality of reffing soccer. That being, most people you work with are complete... uneducated people, to put it diplomatically. We ended up working a two man crew in which I was on the Assistant Referee and my partner was the Center Referee. It was a U-12 Boys game and was destined to be a blowout from the start since one team had no subs on a 98 degree day. Instead of coaxing the game along and getting out of there no harm done, my partner decided it would be a good idea to make his whistle and voice the center of attention. Never a good idea for any referee let alone one in an 8-1 blowout. Anyway it was an awkward situation because I knew he was bad, the coaches knew he was bad, the players and their parents knew it too. Fortunately I made some great offsides calls and was saved from complaints. I guess its just something I can view as a learning experience to know not to be like him. Anyway, I have 3 games this weekend including a U-16 Center so I am really looking forward to that challenge and putting up with brat kids like I was on the soccer field.

Now, for the grand event. Sunday was game two for the Mean Machine and we were faced off against the freshly minted champions of the Summer League. Right on queue the good guys jumped out to a 2-0 lead just like week one off of two great header goals. I saved a breakaway early and a couple of close range attempts to keep them off the score sheet in the first half.  The second half was highlighted by an incredible defensive display that included maybe two good scoring chances and another breakaway save by yours truly. The highlight of my night however was right before the final whistle when I pulled back a sure goal by palming the top of the ball on the goal line from my belly. Not sure the forward knew what hit him. The final result, a clean sheet and in this league that is something that may not happen the rest of the year. On my scale of Robert Green to USMNT call up I would say I have now elevated myself to Jerzey Dudek 2005 Champions League Final (2nd Half, Extra Time and PK's) status. More to come after week three.

Mean Machine: 2-0
Goals Against: 3

No comments:

Post a Comment