Tuesday, September 14, 2010

Back on the Pitch

DISCLAIMER: The Back on the Pitch portion of Off the Woodwork will contain details of my pursuit back into playing and reffing. They may exaggerate the truth and be filled with tongue in cheek references to my abilities. If you wish to ignore these posts and only read about pertinent information I will in no way be offended.

This past weekend marked my glorious return to a soccer field for the first time in months. More notably, it marked my first time between the posts in a real live competitive game on a full size net since high school (about 5 years). If your wondering why I hadn't played in that long the explanation is two fold. One, as any goalie can relate, we think we are the greatest striker to grace this game. Therefore I had been plying my trade as huffing and puffing, good for one run a game terror of the left flank striker/midfield hybrid (I use midfielder loosely because rarely did I retreat into my defensive half. Secondly, other than intramural teams, summer rec leagues and the occasional call up for the club team at CMU I never really pursued the opportunity to play keeper again. I thought I was satisfied with my contribution to the game and had a even contemplated the idea of keeper burnout. I enjoyed running around, chipping in some goals here and there, not having the stress and guilt that is inevitable with every ball you scoop out of your own net. Only now, do I realize how much I really missed it.

With my move to Athens came the need to keep myself busy and get mixed in with my new social surrounding. And seeing as my impromptu move inconveniently cut my summer rec league short after just two games (and one stunning diving/falling header finish) I had the hankering for some more soccer. But it wasn't really until my fiancee moved down in August that I made a concentrated effort to get back into the game when one day she asked me if I ever thought about where I would be if I kept with soccer and if I thought I was a good enough goalie that I could have kept playing. Well unknown to her this was definitely a thought that kept me up on more than one night and this seemed like the perfect wake up call to actually do something about it. So I set my sights on a glorious comeback with a competitive men's team, The Mean Machine, in a Sunday YWCO league here in Athens. An email conversation later and the Mean Machine had themselves a new keeper and my much anticipated return was looming. 

As Sunday approached I was feeling ready. I had gotten a few shots from the fiancee and played in a scrimmage on Wednesday. Game time came and I made an early statement with a diving left handed parry on an abbreviated breakaway. My big am I too old for this moment came about midway through the first half when I slide out on a 50-50 ball and took a cleat to the stomach. Mind you I got to the ball first, and no whistle... so that didn't help the feeling. However, back in my heyday, when I actually had a quick first step I would have been in and out, with the ball, no harm done. Sunday, not so lucky. I digress... We took a 2-0 lead into halftime despite our teams weary legs. In the second half I made a few worldly saves (read disclaimer) but I really did make a great save on a cross in which the goal was open and I managed to dive and block it with my chest. This ensued in a poor clear that fell to an attacker about 20 yards out who promptly ripped a shot off the crossbar upper ninety, truly one of the best goals ever scored against me. Another quick goal off the post and we were tied 2-2. I should note here that we play 7v7 on about a 70 yard field so it promotes goal scoring and really is an exciting brand of soccer. We answered back with 2 goals of our own and even though they pulled one back to make it 4-3 late we pounded in the clincher with about a minute left.

After the game everyone seemed pleased with my performance and a national team call up is surely to arrive soon. In all honesty it was great to be back and I recommend that anyone who has the itch to do something should scratch it with all their might and go for it! I'll leave you with a weak promise that I won't ramble on about my washed up experiences for more than a few paragraphs from now on. For all our sake.

Mean Machine: 1-0
Goals Against: 3

1 comment: